Good evening, Dr. John Henry Holliday.
I am a gentleman.
- I am a dentist, graduated from the Pennsylvania School of Dental Surgery in 1872.
- I am a sporting man, for I am often unable to practice dentistry. I have dealt Faro and played Poker across the West – Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Arizona. I am very good at cards.
- I am a consumptive. I imagine you notice my cough and gaunt frame. Whiskey is my friend.
- I was born in Georgia, in 1851, if that means anything to you.
- I died in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, in one of the great railway hotels after pain and coma in 1887. I'll guess you thought I was older.
- They say I am a gunman and a bad man. The latter is not true, but I am very good with a gun or in a fight.
- I hold Loyalty and Honour highest. I take friendship seriously and will stand for that in which I believe. ‘Quarrelsome,’ they said. Perhaps it is so, but that has surely not been my aim.
- I come from a fine family, and the motto of our crest reads ‘Nulli Virtute Secundus’ – ‘In Virtue Second to None,’ should it be the case, as it likely is, that you do not speak Latin. I also had a comprehensive classical education. I also value education highly. And diligence.
- There are people I love.
- I believe in God, the Father Almighty… the Holy Catholic Church…. They said ‘hypocrisy’ but that was not true either.
- Pride is a Virtue. Right is Might.
Taken together, maybe you can guess what these bare facts have meant.
No doubt you will learn much more of me shortly - what I do and what I think.
In life I wrote copiously, but spoke openly to few.
Time is flexible to me. I am at one and the same time: a dead man, a boy, a student, a dentist, a consumptive, a friend, a gambler, a helpless invalid, a man looking into and touching the future of more than a hundred years hence.Name: John Henry Holliday, DDS
Word Count: 327.
Please comment if you wish.
Nulli Virtute Secundus