1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I respond byasking you five personal questions so I can get to know you better. IfI already know you well, expect the questions may be a little moreintimate!
3. You will update your LJ with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.
I know I already posted this 'meme.' It is just better, I think, to post it again than ask that people wade through my journal.
Questions from will_porter
1) What do you think is the greatest invention of your time?
The greatest invention of my time was the steam locomotive, though it was a little before my birth. Shining rails stretching so far over the horizon, crossing the county, moving us farther and farther west. They moved our troops and won us battles in the Civil War. We were so proud. And later there were the boom towns, created as the Railroad moved into each new area, and I moved with them, watching - not part of the dusty new world, but watching it. And then the great Railway Hotels sprang up along the tracks. In truth, I could probably talk about this for a very long time.
2) What made you want to be a dentist?
I was born with a cleft palate. Now that may seem like a small thing, but in those days it was dangerous, and furthermore took endless hard work and concentration on my teeth and mouth to learn to speak correctly, which I managed to do by the time I was ten. My uncle was a doctor and a pioneer of new techniques including the use of ether in operations, and he was frustrated by the inability of the medical associations and regulating bodies to accept life-saving and pain-saving innovations. Dentistry was a new bright profession without the same rigid restrictions, and I had a natural affinity and knowledge.
3) Is there any event in your life you would change?
Apart from the Battle of Gettysburg? For my own life, what can I say? That I wish my mama had not had consumption, that I wish I had not? I do wish those things. I wish so much. I lost everything. I wish I had spun and seen and shot Morgan's killer. I wish I could have been with Mattie. I wish I could have had a practice with Robert. I wish we had never moved to Valdosta. I wish my father had been... better. I wish I had stood my ground with Wyatt at Iron Springs. I wish that fire had never started in Leadville. I wish I had been able to contain myself in Albequerque. I wish I had had a child. I wish I could have influenced more children to learn and become great. I wish I could have had a brother. I wish so much.
And yet, who am I to wish anything? It is all His Plan.
4) Describe yourself in five words or less.
Dentist, Gentleman, Sporting Man, Friend. *smiles sweetly* I already did.
5) What's your favorite book?The Bible
? That is probably not a real answer. Harris' Principles and Practice of Dentistry
? That is probably not a real answer. In these latter days, it is Gone with the Wind
- Mattie's gift to me
. That is not a real answer... *sighs deeply* Also Sprach Zarathustra
, though I do not read German.